Wednesday 18 October 2017

Entering the Jungle

Descending into the hot sweat of Berkeley Suite, full of scepticism and very little alcohol, I knew I was in for something a little different. I’d already made my mind up on the drum'n'bass/jungle genre, which was obviously informed considering I had no experience of it… so I decided to do just that.

What actually is Drum'n'bass?

DnB originally belonged to a style called hardcore, starting in city undergrounds, it exploded over the U.K in the early 1990’s in the form of the notorious “90’s Rave”. However, with all things that rapidly gain popularity, it soon became a trendy teen’s worst nightmare: mainstream.

Although many started to claim the scene was “dead”, it was just reshaped. Two main genres developed: happy hardcore (think Pretty GreenEyes)and DnB, which further sub-divided into ambient jungle, intelligent, darkside, hardstep, jump-up and ragga-jungle …I’m content with the fact I’ll never know the difference between these.



I didn't hate it  

My first experience of a DnB night is summed up by the fact I was sober, on my fourth night out in a row (the things I do for uni), and still managed to be a sweaty mess from dancing within the first 10 minutes. For it being a small venue, there’s few times I’ve felt so much energy in a room, everyone was LOVING the music, their dancing a reflection. If you’ve had the pleasure of witnessing me dance before, you’ll know I was in my element. 


I was excited, at the prospect of finding something new I loved, but also angry at myself for being too closed minded to try it sooner. My friend had been trying to persuade me to go for like a year but I refused, already assuming I wouldn’t like it. Clearly that was the farthest thing from the truth so I’ve learnt a few lessons; try new things and wear a sports bra to all future DnB nights.


Glasgow Drum'n'Bass/Jungle nights



No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking on Homelessness: The Yellow Door's Fundraiser for Shelter

Although I haven’t yet made it to the mysteriously named The Yellow Door, I’ve heard many a good thing, propelling it to the top of my must...